Pages

8.23.2011

the religion of fashion

I've got to say my addiction to shoes have been absurd. Forget the clothes! The shoes make the outfit. I was love sick over a pair of boots, but as soon as I had them in my possession (I'm now a proud owner of Isabel Marant boots), I fell in love with something new - DVF Rebels

Will this cycle of shoe craving to shoe savings fund to shoe buying to new shoe craving ever end? I've asked myself this many times and have come to a realization. 

 I am here to share my enlightenment with you as the great Siddhartha once taught (with a minor tweak).

4 Noble Truths (of Fashion)

1. Dukkha: Life is suffering.

I suffer because, plain and simply, I can't buy out the entire women's department at Barneys... 


2. Tanha: Cravings and desires cause suffering because pleasure is impermanent.

... seasonally.


3. Nirvana: There is an end to suffering; liberation.

The only ounce of liberation I feel is after making a purchase. If you too, feel that same old "good feeling", also known as the shopper's high, then try online shopping. You get the first high after confirming the order. The second high comes a few days later when the Fed-Ex guy leaves you the box at the front door.


4. Eightfold Path: The means to reach nirvana. 

Truth be told, actual nirvana - breaking the continuous cycle of desiring pleasure -  for a fashion addict, is unattainable. 



So there it is. 
Hope you too have reached enlightenment.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! You do have to admit Emory helped you learn this "enlightenment." haha :)

    ReplyDelete